As of today, 15th April 2020 14:42 PM, there is about 2,025,004 (two million, twenty-five thousand and four) cases of the novel coronavirus (officially named COVID-19 by the World Health Organization) have been reported, with at least 128,978 deaths and 492,763 recovered so far. With health officials under tremendous strain, hospitals overwhelmed, medical resources in short supply, the central government in China is now calling for improved coordination mechanisms between western medicine and traditional Chinese medicine (TCM).
With this in mind, can we possibly protect ourselves or at least reduce our susceptibility to falling victim to this virus by consuming the right herbs and supplements? We think so. However, it should be noted that the best way to prevent infection is to avoid exposure to the virus. Here are our top 10 herb and supplement recommendations:
1. Colloidal Silver – Colloidal silver benefits can be experienced as an anti-viral for HIV/AIDS, pneumonia, herpes, shingles and warts. Colloidal silver suffocates the virus and can even reduce the activity of the HIV virus in AIDS patients.
According to a study published in the International Journal of Nanomedicine, “silver nanoparticles are capable of reducing viral infectivity, probably by blocking the interaction of the virus within the cell.” This might depend on the size and zeta potential of the silver nanoparticles, as smaller-sized particles were able to inhibit the infectivity of the viruses that were analyzed. You can purchase Silver Cleanse Colloidal Silver, Natural Path Silver Wings Colloidal Silver 500ppm from our website.
2. Holy Basil (Tulasi) – also known as tulsi, has been shown to increase immunity, which may help fight viral infections. In a 4-week study in 24 healthy adults, supplementing with 300 mg of holy basil extract significantly increased levels of helper T cells and natural killer cells, both of which are immune cells that help protect and defend your body from viral infections. You can purchase Himalaya Tulasi from our website.
3. Olive Leaf – Olive leaf extract (OLE) is an over-the-counter supplement that contains polyphenols, notably oleuropein and hydroxytyrosol, that have antiviral, antibacterial, anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties that may reduce upper respiratory illness rates. You can purchase Swanson Super Strength Olive Leaf Extract and Piping Rock Super Strength Olive Leaf Extract from our website.
4. Beta-Glucans – Studies have found that supplementing with a high-quality Beta Glucan product can significantly reduce the effects of viral infection in total mortality. These effects are caused by stimulation of both cellular and humoral immune reaction resulting in lower viral load. You can purchase Pure Synergy Beta Glucans from our website.
5. Guduchi – There are studies showing that the immune system becomes invigorated with Guduchi, thus aiding in killing viral cells. It also promotes white blood cell production, which in turn gets rid of bacteria and viruses. You can purchase Himalaya Guduchi from our website.
6. Echinacea – Several test-tube studies suggest that certain varieties of echinacea, including E. pallida, E. angustifolia, and E. purpurea, are particularly effective at fighting viral infections like herpes and influenza. Notably, E. purpurea is thought to have immune-boosting effects as well, making it particularly useful for treating viral infections. You can purchase Puritans Pride Echinacea Complex from our website.
7. Astragalus – Astragalus is a flowering herb popular in traditional Chinese medicine. It boasts Astragalus polysaccharide (APS), which has significant immune-enhancing and antiviral qualities. Test-tube and animal studies show that astragalus combats herpes viruses, hepatitis C, and avian influenza H9 virus. You can purchase Now Astragalus, Swanson Astragalus and Piping Rock Astragalus from our website.
8. Liposomal Vitamin C – The primary advantage of liposomal vitamin C is improved absorption. The ability of our intestinal cells to uptake higher doses of vitamin C has a threshold. That is why higher doses of vitamin C can cause excessive gas and/or diarrhoea. The bioavailability of liposomal vitamin C is significantly greater than regular vitamin C, it is taken up into the body at almost double the level that of regular vitamin C. Liposomal vitamin C is often promoted as an oral alternative to getting an intravenous (IV) dosage of vitamin C. Take 1,000 mg once or twice daily for added protection. You can purchase Dr. Mercola Liposomal Vitamin C 1000mg from our website.
9. Licorice Root – Licorice has been used in traditional Chinese medicine and other natural practices for centuries. Glycyrrhizin, liquiritigenin, and glabridin are just some of the active substances in licorice that have powerful antiviral properties.
Test-tube studies demonstrate that licorice root extract is effective against HIV, RSV, herpes viruses, and severe acute respiratory syndrome-related coronavirus (SARS
-CoV), which causes a serious type of pneumonia. You can purchase Piping Rock Licorice Root and Now c Root from our website.
10. Oregano Oil – Oregano oil and carvacrol have also been shown to exhibit antiviral activity against herpes simplex virus type-1 (HSV-1); rotavirus, a common cause of diarrhea in infants and children; and respiratory syncytial virus (RSV), which causes respiratory infections. You can purchase Puritans Pride Oregano Oil, Swanson Oregano Oil and Zane Hellas Super Strength Oregano Oil from our website.
For your convenience, we also stock combination formulations of products that specifically protect and fight against viral infections: Natures Way SystemWell Ultimate Immunity, Myco-Mune Mushroom Trio, Nutricology ImmoPlex Glandular, Himalaya Septilin, Piping Rock Echinacea & Goldenseal, Kroeger Wormwood Combination, Pure Synergy Beta Glucans, Zane Hellas Immune Premium and Natures Lab Para-Clear Ultra.