is a lifelong condition that affects the blood sugar and insulin levels in the
body. Treatment includes lifestyle strategies and sometimes medication, but
some complementary therapies, such as herbs and supplements, may help.
In this post, our experts at Natures Lab have listed out 10 natural ways to effectively lower your blood sugar levels using herbs and supplements:
1) Banaba Leaf – Banaba, also known as Crepe Myrtle, Queen’s Flower and Pride of India, is a medicinal plant that grows in India, Southeast Asia, and the Philippines. Banaba Leaf extract contains a compound known as corosolic acid, which can safely lower blood sugar levels. By keeping blood sugar and insulin levels in check, Banaba helps you control food cravings. This makes it useful for anyone who wants to lose weight.
Melon (Karela) – In addition to being a food ingredient, bitter melon has also
long been used as a herbal remedy for a range of ailments, including type
2 diabetes. The fruit contains at least three active substances with
anti-diabetic properties, including charanti, which has been confirmed to have
a blood glucose-lowering effect, vicine and an insulin-like compound
known as polypeptide-p. These substances either work individually or together
to help reduce blood sugar levels. You can purchase Himalaya Karela from our
Cinnamon – Cinnamon is known to have many health benefits. For one, it has
been shown to improve insulin sensitivity by decreasing insulin resistance at
the cellular level. Studies show cinnamon can also lower blood sugar levels by
up to 29%. It slows the breakdown of carbs in the digestive tract, which
moderates the rise in blood sugar after a meal. You can purchase Puritans Pride
Cinnamon from our website.
4) Gymnema Sylvestre – Gymnema Sylvestre is an herb that comes from India. Its name means “sugar destroyer.” A 2013 review noted that people with both type 1 and type 2 diabetes who took Gymnema showed signs of improvement. In people with type 1 diabetes who took the leaf extract for 18 months, fasting blood sugar levels fell significantly, compared with a group that received only insulin. You can purchase Piping Rock Gymnema Sylvestre from our website.
Berry – Juniper berries were used in traditional
medicine practices to treat diabetes,
and recent studies confirm that they may have anti-diabetic properties.
Researchers believe that these anti-diabetic effects are due to the berries’ high
concentration of antioxidants.
7) Fenugreek – Findings of a 3-year investigation published in 2015 noted that people with prediabetes were less likely to receive a diagnosis of type 2 diabetes while taking powdered fenugreek seed. The researchers concluded that taking the seed led to:
- increased levels of insulin in the body,
leading to a reduction in blood sugar
- lower cholesterol levels
purchase Puritans Pride Fenugreek, Swanson Fenugreek and Natures Way Fenugreek
from our website.
– A study published in the August
2012 edition of the natural product journal Planta Medica suggested that ginger
may improve long-term blood sugar control for people with type 2 diabetes. You can purchase Puritans
Pride Ginger and Natures Way Ginger from our website.
9) Chromium – High blood sugar levels and diabetes have also been linked to micronutrient deficiencies. Examples include deficiencies in the minerals chromium and magnesium. Chromium is involved in carb and fat metabolism. It also helps control blood sugar levels, and a lack of chromium may predispose you to carb intolerance. You can purchase Swanson Chromium from our website.
10) Berberine – Berberine is the active component of a Chinese herb that’s been used to treat diabetes for thousands of years. Berberine has been shown to help lower blood sugar and enhance the breakdown of carbs for energy. What’s more, berberine may be as effective as some blood-sugar-lowering drugs. This makes it one of the most effective supplements for those with diabetes or pre-diabetes. You can purchase Swanson Berberine and Puritans Pride Berberine from our website.
For your convenience, you can purchase products with combination formulas consisting of some of the above-mentioned herbs and supplements. Some of these include; Natures Lab Advanced Blood Sugar Support, Piping Rock Diabetes Formula, Natures Way Blood Sugar Metabolism Blend, Himalaya Diabecon and Himalaya Diabecon DS.