For several decades,
researchers have known that sperm quality and fertility rates have been in
decline in most Western nations. According to a 2017 study, between 1973 and
2011 the average sperm count in North America, Europe, Australia, and New
Zealand dropped by 59.3 percent.
identifying the problem, the reasons for this decline and ways to reliably
reverse it are still unknown.
non-pharmacologic remedies have been used by ancient, herbal, and traditional
medicines to increase sperm count and overall sperm health for thousands of
Researchers have shown that
most of these remedies influence sperm count in some way.
10 herbs and supplements that
naturally increase sperm count include:
1. Ashwagandha – Also known as Indian ginseng, has long been used in traditional medicines as a remedy for several forms of sexual dysfunction. A 2016 study found that 46 men with low sperm counts who took 675 milligrams (mg) of ashwagandha daily for 90 days saw a 167 percent increase in sperm count. Himalaya Ashwagandha is available to purchase at our website. You can purchase Himalaya Ashwagandha from our website.
2. Maca – This root extract has the ability to boost female fertility which is why it gets a great deal of attention. It balances female hormones to improve fertility. However, this herb has the ability to boost male fertility as well. This herb effectively improves the quality of sperm (poor sperm quality being a reason of male infertility). You can purchase Swanson Maca, Now Maca and Natures Lab Organic Maca Powder from our website.
3. Tribulus Terresteris – Ayurvedic practitioners say that tribulus combined with a healthy diet and workout regime improves sperm motility and sperm count. Some studies say that the extracts of this herb help men maintain better erections. It also boosts libido in men and women. You can purchase Himalaya Gokshura (Tribulus Terresteris) from our website.
4. Ginseng – Often referred to as the King of all herbs, Ginseng is an adaptogen that improves general well-being. It is known in Traditional Chinese Medicine to be an aphrodisiac, and is used to treat sexual dysfunction and enhance sexual behavior. Ginseng is found to improve the sperm quality and sperm count in both healthy individuals as well as patients with treatment-related infertility. Taking doses of 900 mg Korean red ginseng, three times daily for 8 weeks has been shown to provide sexual health benefits in men. You can purchase Swanson Red Korean Ginseng or Now Panax Ginseng from our website.
5. Mucuna Pruriens – Treatment with M. pruriens has been shown to increase sperm concentration and motility in all the infertile study groups. Oligozoospermic patients recovered sperm concentration significantly in some studies. You can purchase Himalaya Kapikachhu (Mucuna Pruriens) from our website.
6. L-Arginine – The body produces spermine and spermidine from Arginine, which is highly concentrated in the seminal fluid. Spermine has antioxidative properties, a stabilizing effect on the DNA inside the sperm and plays an important role in cell division and growth. You can purchase Swanson L-Arginine from our website.
7. L-Carnitine – Only L-carnitine can transport fatty acids from the blood into the cells’ mitochondria, where the fats are “burned” to produce energy. Sperm, in particular, needs lots of energy in order to continue to swim. L-carnitine therefore plays an important role in the generation, growth and life of healthy, motile sperm cells. You can purchase Puritans Pride L-Carnitine from our website.
8. Zinc – The trace element zinc is well known for its importance in various immunological and more than 200 enzymatic processes. Sperm production can be reduced if the body does not have sufficient quantities available. Zinc can, therefore, contribute to improving sperm analysis. You can purchase Piping Rock Zinc from our website.
9. Selenium – Selenium is also a trace element and has anti-oxidative effects. Selenium contributes to the generation of healthy spermatozoa. You can purchase Puritans Pride Selenium from our website.
10. Tongkat Ali – Also known as Longjack, this powerful male
fertility-boosting herb which is native to Malaysia, has been shown to not only
boost sperm count but also significantly improve male libido and performance. You
can purchase Piping Rock Tongkat Ali from our website.
For your convenience, we stock a variety of all-in-one formulations of products that consist of some of the above-mentioned herbs and supplements in combination. These can be purchased from our website and include Fertilsan M, Himalaya Speman, Fertilaid for Men and more.