True detox leads to true health.
As Hippocrates said, the natural forces inside of us are what truly do the
healing. Yet what happens when the organs for detox — the liver and kidneys —
aren’t working well? All other processes will suffer. We need to keep these
organs in top shape!
This leaves us wondering, how do
I cleanse my liver and kidneys? How can I detox my liver and kidneys at home?
Fortunately, nature has provided us with some fantastic herbs to optimize their
ability to function. Here’s a list of our favourites:
1. Milk Thistle – It is one of the most effective remedies for protecting and healing the liver because it contains silymarin, a substance capable of regenerating liver cells damaged by toxins and relieving liver tissue inflammation. Milk Thistle is, therefore, an excellent remedy for hepatitis and liver failure. You can purchase Swanson Milk Thistle and Puritans Pride Milk Thistle from our website.
2. Dandelion – It is very beneficial for the liver because it increases bile production (choleretic) and facilitates emptying of the gallbladder (cholagogue). So it is one of the most beneficial plants for liver disorders and gallbladder malfunction. You can purchase Swanson Dandelion Root and Traditional Medicinals Roasted Dandelion Tea from our website.
3. Marshmallow Root – Marshmallow root has polysaccharides that help in our wound healing because of its high antioxidant capacity. Our liver bile ducts can become damaged over time. Marshmallow root acts to soothe this damage. In fact, it stimulates the production of our epithelial cells. These are the cells that line the inside of our organs and ducts. Having a strong, healthy bile duct can better help your liver detox. You can purchase Natures Way Marshmallow Root from our website.
4. Parsley – Parsley is considered a “bitter” herb. Bitter herbs can help stimulate your release of bile, helping the liver detox. Parsley also helps to produce glutathione which helps protect your liver from damage. Parsley is another fantastic herb to help us prevent kidney stones because it is a diuretic. When studied against other substances, parsley reduced kidney stones the most. You can purchase Piping Rock Parsley and Natures Way Parsley from our website.
5. Beetroot – Beetroot can enhance your production of nitric oxide. Nitric oxide dilates blood vessels which increases blood flow. This additional blood flow can help your kidneys work better than when your blood flow is restricted. The bright red pigment of beetroot is called betanin. It helps reduce inflammation and oxidative stress. It can also help protect your kidneys from damage. You can purchase Natures Truth Beetroot powder from our website.
6. Sulphoraphanes – Studies in men with fatty liver have shown that broccoli sprouts can improve liver function. Sulforaphane may protect the kidneys from damaging chemicals, but this has only been studied in animals so far. You can purchase Swanson Sulphoraphanes from our website.
7. Punarnava – Punarnava is primarily used for kidney and urinary disorders. An extract from the root extract is used as a kidney and liver tonic. It improves the functioning of kidneys damaged by diabetes. … It is hepatoprotective, used in the treatment of jaundice and other liver problems. You can purchase Himalaya Punarnava from our website.
8. Artichoke – It is a highly recommended remedy for slow digestion and liver failure. It is also diuretic, purifying, and contributes to the elimination of urea, so it is beneficial for those suffering from kidney failure. Artichoke also helps lower blood cholesterol levels. You can purchase Piping Rock Artichoke from our website.
9. Stinging Nettle – Nettle’s antioxidant properties may protect your liver against damage by toxins, heavy metals and inflammation. Stinging nettle leaf is relatively well-known as a diuretic and inflammation modulator, and the root is known as a remedy for enlarged prostate. It has been shown that nettle seed can be quite effective for lowering serum creatinine levels and reducing symptoms in patients with chronic renal failure. You can purchase Swanson Stinging Nettle, Now Stinging Nettle and Traditional Medicinals Nettle tea from our website.
10. Turmeric Curcumin – Curcumin protects the kidneys, inhibits inflammatory and oxidant pathways and may be an effective adjuvant therapy for Chronic Kidney Disease patients. New evidence suggests curcumin’s antioxidant activity can improve liver health by behaving as a detox agent in the body, reducing the risk of liver disease. This research brings promising news if you’re looking for a natural liver cleanse or a way to flush out toxins. You can purchase Puritans Pride Turmeric Curcumin and Piping Rock Turmeric Curcumin from our website.
For your convenience, we also
stock combination formulations of products that specifically cleanse the liver
and kidney: Himalaya Cystone, Himalaya Liv 52, Swanson Milk Thistle Dandelion
and Yellow Dock Combination, Natures Way Urinary with Cranberry, Swanson Herbal
Urinary, Guang Ci Tang Liver FireClear.